Inspiration of the Week

Inspiration of the Week
Only sometimes...

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Chili, abra-ca-da-bra Style!

So tonight it is, ohhh, about 27 degrees in Austin, Texas.  Yes, you read that correctly, under 50 in Texas, which means multiple things: driving is suddenly a very difficult and unknown task to most, we become Eskimos with jackets we only bring out once a year, every public office and small restaurant closes down, and whiskey sales double. It is quite a circus, school gets cancelled, people don't go to work, you know, just in case there is ice somewhere on the road.  So while most people are stocking up on canned goods and getting gas due to the 'winter blizzard', I had another idea... homemade chili!  Since I just moved, my pantry is very plainly stocked and well, let's face it, cold weather makes me hungry, I knew I had to make something up from the little I had.

Chili is a simple thing, one that growing up (from what I recall) was out of a can and only served at sports outings on Fritos or Hot Dogs.  So as I grew older, went to a fall tailgates and official 'chili cook-offs', I was awakened to the idea that chili was not a topping, but was a full meal in and of itself!! It was a glorious discovery!  From time to time my adventures with cooking chili involved getting a packet of chili seasoning, some ground beef, and canned tomatoes.  It wasn't horrible, but tonight there was no option other than the few options I had in my pantry, of which did not include a seasoning packet of any kind.  I did however, and always do, have tomato paste, so that was a plus!

To get to the point, I knew I had to share this quickly before I forgot all the things I put in it because my cooking style these days is more like an experiment than a thought out process. I find myself saying "maybe this will taste good" or "I wonder what this and this and this and thiiiis would taste like" as I throw random spices and flavors together.  It's quite an adventure because I get to be surprised at the end of it, just as if someone else cooked it  for me! Makes living alone and cooking for one quite fun!

The only thing that you probably will not have, unless you in fact live in Austin, Texas, is access to North By Northwest's beer collection which one was used in this chili-cooking adventure. (USED TO MAKE, not just drank while cooking... I promise!).  So I bet any well crafted smooth, dark beer would do the trick.

The good stuff:


  • 1 lb. Lean Ground Meat (turkey or beef)
  • 1 can of tomato sauce
  • 1 can Ranch style beans with jalapenos  
  • 1/4-1/2 cup of dark beer 
  • 1/2 chopped white onion
  • Chili Powder
  • Paprika
  • Rosemary
  • Honey Mustard
  • Seasoned Pepper
  • CINNAMON

Just a few tips on how to make this transform into chili, but my philosophy is to just go with it on your own, I promise it will work out better than if you try to do it to an exact science or something.  I don't pay attention enough to the amounts of things I am putting in, the times I cook it, or anything like that.  My mission by sharing this with you is not to have some world famous, scientifically calculated recipe; but it is to give you the tools to build your own scrumptious dinner.

My tips:

  1. As you brown your meat, a small amount of honey mustard and your seasonings in the pot then add the beer. It will come together nicely. 
  2. Add the onions in stages: a little at the beginning with the meat, half way through, then when you add the liquids. 
  3. After the meat has browned and is smelling amazing, don't just eat it like that! Put your tomato sauce in with a half a can of water, and then add the beans. 
  4. Cook on medium-low after you add everything for about 30 minutes at the least to let all the flavors go together. 
  5. The cinnamon is powerful, so don't put TOO much... a tablespoon or so will do. 

There ya have it! 

 ENJOY Y'ALL! 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment